Afghans based in Sri Lanka and wish to obtain an Afghan Passport should read the following instructions carefully.
Checklist of requirements
- 1. Appointment. Applicants MUST book an appointment online prior to coming to the Embassy. Clients with no prior appointment will not be serviced. For booking an appointment please click on this link.
- 2.Visit In-person. An applicant MUST visit the embassy in-person on the date and time of their appointment. Applications sent to the embassy via post and/or applications in the absence of the applicant will NOT be processed.
- 3. Application. An application must be filled carefully in BLOCKED letters in English and Dari/Pashto for each applicant, with special attention to name and surname’s spelling, date of birth (Day/Month/Year), height, occupation and other specifics, and accurate current address in Sri Lanka. Application forms can be downloaded here.
- 4. Passport Fee. The fee for one passport with the duration of 5 years is $120.USD.
- 5. Tazkira (Afghan National ID). Applicants must provide their verified original Tazkira to the Embassy along with the application. In the event if an applicant presents a copy of his/her Tazkira, it will be sent to the Ministry of interior Affairs (MoIA) in Afghanistan for verification. A new machine-readable passport will only be issued once the Tazkira is verified by MoIA.
- 6. Photos. 3 passport size (4x4.5 cm) recent photographs with a white background is required for an application.
- 7. Old Hand-written Passport. The applicant must return his/her old and/or expired hand-written passport(s) to the Embassy upon lodging the application, if available.
- 8. Children. If a child was born in Sri Lanka and would like to apply for an Afghan passport, his/her parents, must provide:
- a) Tazkira of the parents, either original or copy. The above procedure on Tazkira will apply. (both? Or father? Mother?)
- b) Child’s Birth Certificate must be presented to the embassy along with the application.
- 9. Proof of Current Address. The applicant must provide a proof of address in Sri Lanka, which could be a copy of utility bill, drivers license or bank statement.
- Express/Registered Self-addressed Return Envelope: the applicants are required to provide an Express/Registered self-addressed envelope. Embassy will use the Express/Registered envelope to send your NEW passport to the designated address provided in the application form. Please note that all other types of envelopes will not be accepted. The applicants are also required to note the “Tracking number” of the Express Post to enable them to track their post.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to apply directly to the embassy, applications submitted to the embassy by travel agencies will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
- Ensure you write your full name in Dari on the application.